Bridge to a Better Life (BRIDGE for short) is working with rural communities to provide education, shelter, and support for single Moms and kids in marginalized communities while working to reduce gender inequalities through economic empowerment and gender advocacy.
Our end goal, starting in Sierra Leone, Africa is to prevent and protect girls from FGM (female genital mutilation) and child marriage, keep kids in school, and provide business opportunities – a bridge to a better life.
Passion to address the complex needs related to gender in the communities.
Compassion for humanity, seeking understanding and respecting privacy.
- Develop strategic plan with a clear sense of direction and manage 501C3 status.
- Develop Board of Directors, hire more staff, and involve grass roots volunteers.
- Develop intervention programs for target groups over the next 5 years: Vulnerable youth, women, and children in poor, marginalized and disadvantaged rural and urban communities starting in Sierra Leone, Africa
- Research and collaborate with aligned groups and organizations helping related target groups in Sierra Leone and nearby regions with similar missions related to rural and urban poverty and women and child rights abuses.
- Promote education, awareness, and self-empowerment.
- Assist people and communities, irrespective of race or religion; to promote long-term sustainable development.
- Empower healing for the abused, and recovery for victims of exploitation.
- Improve and build social infrastructure, including construction of community assets: schools, multi-purpose centers, water wells, latrines, hospitals, clinics, etc.
- Facilitate rights promotion/protection and create awareness for behavior change education and interventions focused on prevention of FGM (female genital mutilation), and child marriage.
- Train and mentor rural women and young people in functional literacy, livelihood advancement skills, sanitation and SGBV prevention and response.
- Provide sponsorships to support education, advocacy and awareness for Sierra Leonean girls, women, and children.
- Support social and economic capacity building for rural women and youth.